according to the Oxford English Dictionary is:
The art, craft, or industrial activity of working in metal.
I work in mostly silver and copper.
- Silver’s element symbol Ag, is from the Latin word argentum meaning silver.
- In many cultures, and some alchemical texts, silver was associated with the Moon while gold was associated with the Sun.
- Silver has the highest electrical conductivity, and the highest thermal conductivity of all metals.
- Silver is considered one of the noble metals.
- Silver is slightly harder (less malleable) than gold.
- Silver ions and silver compounds are toxic to many types of bacteria, algae and fungi. Silver coins used to be stored in containers of water and wine to prevent spoiling.
- Silver has a long and elegant history, and is used in many other capacities besides jewelry.
- Copper’s element symbol is Cu, from the Latin word cyprium, after the island of Cyprus, where Romans obtained their copper
- Copper is man’s oldest metal, dating back more than 10,000 years and since that time has been used in cookware and in farming implements
- Copper has been used for centuries to cover the hulls of ships for protection
- Copper is used in some surgical instruments due to its high electrical conductivity which can heat to a self-cauterizing temperature.
- Since 1982, the U.S penny only contains 2.6% copper. The U.S. nickel contains 75% copper, and the dime, quarter, and half dollar coins contain 91.67% copper
- Copper is known to stimulate the immune system, help repair injured tissues, and promote healing
- According to the Bible, Moses wrapped a brass serpent around a pole to help cure Jewish people who had been bitten by deadly snakes (Numbers 21:4-9). A rendition of this image is now the logo for the American Medical Association